- Learners enrolled in our Basic Literacy courses meet with trained volunteer tutors in one-on-one sessions.
- Each session is tailored to meet the learner’s needs.
- Currently, the learners in our Basic Literacy include native English speakers, non-native English speakers, those with learning disabilities, and others whose circumstances prevent them from attending traditional adult literacy classes.
- Our GED preparation program covers all sections of the General Education Development test, including language arts, science, social studies, and math.
- Learners take the GED Locator Test to help us determine their placement in the program.
- Learners meet with trained volunteer tutors in one-on-one sessions that are customized to fit the learner’s needs and schedule.
- Many of our learners who are enrolled in our GED preparation program are also enrolled in our Basic Literacy program.
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Our ESOL program serves learners whose skill levels range from Beginner (knowing no English) to High Intermediate (knowing some academic English).
- Trained volunteer tutors meet both in group sessions and one-on-one sessions, according to the needs of our learners.
- We use a curriculum specifically designed to effectively teach English to non-native speakers.
- Our Beginner sessions focus on basic necessary vocabulary that will aid learners in day-to-day activities, such as accessing public transportation, applying for a driver’s license, and describing an ailment to a doctor.
- Skyline Literacy’s citizenship classes and individualized tutoring prepare community residents for the U.S. Naturalization Tests and Interviews.
- Our program is supposed by the U.S. Immigration Service and is funded in part by the Department of Homeland Security.
- In order to complete the program and successfully prepare for the U.S. Naturalization Tests and Interviews, learners must have attained a high beginning level of English skills prior to beginning the program.
- To further aid our learners, we maintain two computers labs (one at our main office and one at Community Mennonite Church) as well as a laptop loan program.
- Both our labs and laptops come equipped with Rosetta Stone Language Learning Software English levels 1-4. (Learners who check out laptops are NOT required to have an internet connection in order to access the software.)
- Lab assistants maintain and monitor our labs as well as help learners navigate exercises, pronounce difficult words, and further their overall progress.
- For specific days and times during which our labs are open, please contact our main office via phone or e-mail.
- Laptops are loaned out based on need and commitment and may be checked out for as long as two months, provided the aforementioned criteria is met.